Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Thursday, May 18, 2006


Humanitarian aid and African Politics...
As I was traveling home, a flight attendant asked me about the logo on my shirt, Northwest Medical Teams International, and asked where I had been. Another passenger was standing there in the galley and we began to speak about all of the ills affecting multiple African nations at the present. Civil unrest and war, the HIV/AIDs epidemic, corruption at all levels of government, tremendous national debt, and so on. There are no easy answers for Uganda, and Africa as a whole. There is so much politics involved that hope and help for them seems bleak at best. I am thankful, though, to have seen with my own eyes, organizations that are making a positive impact upon the lives of common people there.
It can be argued, "What difference does it make in the long run, it's all a drop in the bucket." Yes, while that is true, it does directly help to relieve human suffering for some, even for just a while. I am a common person, and I will die a common person, but I was blessed to be born an American and have access to opportunity that billions in the world will never have. I have also been privy to multiple acts of kindness by strangers that made a lasting impact in my life. I have long since subscribed to the theory "pay it forward", if someone does something nice for you the best thank you that can be given is to pass it on by doing something nice for someone else.
Added to all of this, I am a Christian, and I believe unwaveringly, that it is my duty and privilege to use the gifts and talents that God has given me to help others. By looking at the example of Jesus' life and what He instructed His disciples' it shows that when you have a personal relationship with God your life focus changes from one that is self serving, to one that is outwardly focused and serving others. I shake my head at North American Christianity because it is a far cry from what the Bible teaches.
I am thankful for organizations such as Northwest Medical Teams International, www.nwmti.org, and the way they responsibly use the donations given them. I am also impressed by the work of Samaritan's Purse and have seen their positive impact in Uganda.
I love to quote Mother Teresa of Calcutta because no one can argue that she was completely selfless and lived the faith she believed in: "Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier."

Trying to spread love wherever I go, Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home