Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Tuesday, May 16, 2006



La la land...

I am writing from the lovely home of my friend Tony, who lives in the suburbs of London. I am enroute to the U.S. and had to overnight here. I said goodbye to my team mates, Sally and Elaine at London Heathrow Airport, yesterday afternoon, after our eight and a half hour flight from Entebbe.

I chuckled to myself when the pilot shared with us what our flight path would be. He said, "After we fly over Uganda we will be flying over Sudan, Lybia, the Mediterranean Sea..." I thought to myself that in the event of an emergency landing, I would rather go into the sea than to land in either Sudan or Lybia. It was amazing flying over the Sahara desert, it streched on and on, a vast wasteland for hours.

I feel as though I am in La la land, because I am still not in my reality. I am not at home and I am no longer in the field. It is nice, however, to be in a clean place. Tony's place has a delightful garden in the back and this morning I was awakened by the chirping of birds, not honking of horns, voices yelling, and bicycle bells ringing.

I will catch the last leg of my flight this afternoon and finally be home!

Looking forward to Home Sweet Home, Brenda

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home