Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Saturday, May 13, 2006



Packing up, saying goodbye...

It is Saturday and I am spending the day with different friends and saying goodbye. We will leave for Kampala in the morning for our early morning flight on Monday. I want to share a few more things when I get home, but it will be a few days before I can do so.

I continue to meet new friends, so many foreigners here working for different NGO's (non governmental organizations/humanitarian organizations). Had a long conversation with Klaudia, from Austria at breakfast. And she shared some of her experiences of last October when 3 different NGO's were ambushed while she was in the same area.

Before I forget, please pray for my friend, Matt, who is from Samaritan's Purse. He had about 15 of us over a few nights ago and we watched the Chronicles of Narnia at his house and ate popcorn. Matt just went to Ethiopia yesterday on business with SP and there were at least 8 bombings in the capitol. I pray that he is safe, he is to be there the rest of this week.

Thank you for all your kind emails, thoughtful words, and your prayers. They have meant a lot to me. I will blog again as soon as I make it home.

On my way home, Brenda

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Brenda,

Thank-you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. I would very much like to travel to Uganda this fall with NWMTI and have read your entries with great interest. Your stories both inspire me and frighten me just a bit. I am also a nurse in the Seattle area. When you return home and settle, I would love to chat with you by email or phone.
Thanks again for giving of yourself and for sharing your experiences with the rest of us. Heidi (hknako@aol.com)

May 13, 2006 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip home. I am looking forward to seeing you again soon!
~Deidre

May 15, 2006 11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You inspire me, Ms. Brenda! I have cried at your descriptions of the camps and how the people survive. I will never understand such cruelty that humans can impose on others. Thank you for bringing this area of the world to us. I pray that all of us will remember these people in our prayers, with our money, and if possible with our personal service. I am so thankful that you are safe. I look forward to seeing you again, my friend. Vicki

May 17, 2006 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home