Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

At home in the States...

I have been home for less than twenty four hours, and I am still weary after a good night's sleep. The weather is absolutely gorgeous here and it feels like August in May!

There are piles of dirty laundry and a sundry of items that have been emptied out of my suitcases to be put away. I have already downloaded the pictures from my camera and have looked at each picture several times. It is hard to believe that I am so far away now. Life goes on here with hardly a care or knowledge of what other parts of the world are experiencing. I don't feel like seeing anyone right now, but my life here is trying to suck me back into the routine busyness.

I want time to reflect, time to digest, and time grieve all of the things I have seen. I miss the national staff that we worked with, their smiles and laughter were always so cheerful! I miss all of the new friends that remain there working for various humanitarian organizations, and as missionaries. What great people to associate with! I miss Uganda with all of its flaws, corruption, and frustrating bureaucracy. I miss the beauty of the countryside and its resilient people. I miss having such a simple purpose and direction.

I have more things than I had time to share while I was gone, so I will continue to blog for at least a few more days. You are welcome to email me at brenda2missions@yahoo.com if you have any questions. B

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brenda:
The Lord is definately using you and you are an amazing woman! I have read through all of your postings and must say I was moved to tears in a couple of them. I am a young RN, currently in grad school here in OR. I hope to one day accomplish even a portion of what you have done volunteering your time and services to help those in such desperate situations.
You have motivated me to want to pursue this even more and I hope to go on a trip like this within the year or so. I plan to email you as I have many more questions. I realize you are just getting back into WA and I'm sure it will take awhile to transition. So I'll follow-up with you in the near future.
May the Lord continue to Bless you and all the lives you have touched.
-Charmika

May 18, 2006 4:18 AM  
Blogger BrendaTravels said...

Please feel free to email me at brenda2missions@yahoo.com I would love to answer any questions you might have and encourage you more to pursue medical missions, it is very rewarding! Thank you for your kind email, I really appreciate it!

Blessing to you, Brenda Maldonado

June 13, 2006 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home