Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

May in Uganda...

I attempted to post this yesterday, May 2, however the computers were against me and I lost my draft twice. Emailing from a third world country does pose its challenges...

May in Uganda is quite pleasant. The frequent rain showers and spectacular thunder storms help to keep the temperatures down in the low 80's. The countryside is lush green everywhere and the crops seem to be growing nicely. Have I mentioned the mango trees? I love mangoes! And the trees are loaded and full of ripe mangoes. Happiness is eating a tree ripened mango, with sweet juice streaming down both elbows, knowing that a bag full of six big mangoes, cost only pennies!

We have now settled into a routine in going to the camps. Tuesdays and Wednesdays will be our heavy days as these camps have just recently been added to our mobile medical clinic route.

Today as we pulled up to Acokora Camp, there were several hundred people awaiting our arrival. People from the camps we passed along the way continued to arrive into the afternoon. One of my patients had walked over 5 miles to clinic this morning seeking help. Once again we were able to care for just a fraction of the people needing assistance of some kind.

At lunch time, I tried not to feel self concious while sitting in the van eating my portion of Chapati, two boiled eggs, and 4 little bananas, as hundreds of people watched us through the windows. I always save a portion of my lunch to give to children when they come to see me, I wish I could feed all of them. As I walked back to my tent, I glanced over to the admission desk, and saw lines of people the same length as several hours previously. They began to announce early in the afternoon that we were sorry, but we would not be able to see everyone. They went on to explain that we would continue to bring the clinic every Tuesday, and that they should come back. What a loud rumble followed the announcement! I was fearing that a mob could form, but I was reassured that it would not come to that. I can't imagine walking for miles packing a child or two, waiting for hours, even overnight, to discover that you or your sick child would not be seen this week.

The large numbers became the least of my worries when I was told that we were running low on children's syrups (antibiotics, fever reducers, etc.). I began to pray that somehow God would perform a miracle and not let the medications run out as we were still seeing patients and perscriptions were still needing to be filled. We eventually did run out of children's medications, and it felt futile to even see the little ones, as there was nothing to be done for them.

Tomorrow is another day, and hundreds more will need to be seen, so we must not get discouraged. We helped many today, and made a difference in the lives of several hundred. We probably impacted even more, as just our presence in the camps is an encouragement to them. To know that someone out there actually cares about their status and condition.

Praying that more will hear about the situation here in order to put pressure on the Ugandan government.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy,

I am regular visitor of this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]brenda2missions.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Research points that almost 70% of all USA grownups are either chubby or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these individuals, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is really not as tough as you think. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under painful training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

March 22, 2010 7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home