Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The desperate masses...

How do I even begin to describe my day? We arrived at Acokora Camp with about 100 people waiting for us under two very large shay trees, under which we set up our clinic. As we were doing so, the camp mobilizer started using a hand held loud speaker (the type used at pep rallies) to announce that there would be a medical clinic, and by the time we were ready, at least three hundred had arrived and were jostling for a position in the long lines forming behind the perimeter ropes.

I went into my tent with David, my interpreter and began to see patients, mostly men! How did this happen, I wanted the pregnant women and babies! Oh well. Half way through the morning, David, the clinical officer came to get me to show me the absolute worst case of osteomyelitis he has ever seen in a 16 year old boy, and he has seen a lot! This young man's left lower leg from the knee down was about twice its normal size and had multiple areas were pus was draining directly from the bone, all we could do was to give him oral antibiotics, we all knew that he needed to be hospitalized and treated differently, but had no altrernative. Throughout the day I saw more cases of syphyllis than I ever dreamed, I am also quite positive of several cases of cancer in some ladies I saw. Several men were probably suffering from enlarged prostates, and many other aches, pains, infections, and undiagnosable things that would take equipment we don't have.

The thing that was overwhelming was that the noise level went up significantly through the morning, and by lunch time the masses of people were innumerable and pressing in around the edges of the clinic. The deworming station was going non stop all day until I believe they finally ran out of medication. I believe we saw about 460 patients and had to turn away well over 300 people.

The hardest point in my day was when a woman that did not even know her own age (probably in her 30's) came in and sat on the floor of the tent, her eyes down cast, and only a stump at the end of her left wrist. David beckoned for her to sit on the stool, and she scooted closer, still on the floor, and then after more encouragement she got onto the stool. Her eyes never met mine, nor David's, she was so hopeless and spoke in a whisper behaving as if she was not worthy enough to even be there. I don't even remember now what her diagnosis ended up being or what medications I gave her, I had to touch her and I stroked her face. I was overwhelmed with emotion and tears started falling down my face. David looked up at me and was shocked, he didn't know what to say, I don't think that it was appropriate for me to show such emotion but I couldn't help myself as it seemed that the condition of norther Uganda was embodied in this one woman. She had obviously been beaten down, disfigured, and cast away, she had no sense of hope whatsoever. It was hard to regain composure, but she never did look up so she never did see my tears. I will work at maintaining my compsure and save it for when I am gone like last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home