Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Flip flops, and mosquito net...

Things common to living in a third world country I don't usually think about are: wearing flip flops in your hotel room, having to get in and out of the mosquito net during the night to use the toilet. Using a flashlight to look at your flip flops to make sure there is no creepy crawler to step on. Brushing your teeth with bottled water. Having armed guards walking through the hotel. Having to pay 3,000 Ugandan Shillings for one hour on the internet. Knowing how much 3,000 shillings are. I could go on and on but it seems that these things are so common place now.

Things I am thankful for: my own bathroom with a European toilet (no squatty potty!), an internet cafe with generator power, the cooling rains that bring the temperature down, a team mate that wants to get up and walk with me before the sun rises, avocadoes, mangoes, passion fruit, bananas, tomatoes, eggplant, safet and so much more!

There are so many things I take for granted when I am at home in the U.S. that being abroad always reminds me of. It is different here and in some ways hard, but it really doesn't seem to bother me. Brenda

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Brenda....
What an experience for you! I thank you for your words so that we might have a small clue as to what we take for granted. For example: I ran out of dish soap today, so I had to run down the street in my car to get some new soap. Strange thing is...I was just gonna throw the dishes into the dishwasher after I "pre-washed" them. The folks that you are there helping probably don't even have clean water to drink, let alone enough water to wash their dishes twice (and with soap). Hearing how it is over there makes you take a look at ordinary everyday things (that one takes for granted) from a different viewpoint. Thank you for helping us to see this.
Stay safe,
Steph

April 23, 2006 11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Brenda!
I know we are so privileged in this country, I couldn't even imagine living in those conditions 24/7. The saddest thing is most of them don't even have hope for their future. I think of you and what you are doing (sacrificing) and am so thankful you're allowing God to use you in such a tangible way to show these people that someone cares for them. Wishing you health and safety as you minister to these people.
Cherie

April 25, 2006 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home