Uganda's forgotten...

For almost 20 years now the people of Northern Uganda have been terrorized by a rebel group, the LRA, and ignored by their own government. Just under 2 million people are forced to live in camps seeking safety. Northwest Medical Teams provides a mobile medical clinic to as many of the camps as donations allows, I am here, April/May 2006, as a nurse helping to provide health care to these camps.

Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

Mahatma Ghandi once said that “with every true friendship we build more firmly the foundation on which the peace of the whole world rests.”

Friday, April 14, 2006

Stay Focused!

It is already 10:30 PM and it feels like I still have a lot to do before I go to bed. I am the queen of procrastination! There are so many little details and things that I always want to do at the very last minute, but something always has to give. I keep reminding myself of my purpose and of the people that our team is going to go and help in northern Uganda for the next four weeks. To provide a mobile medical clinic for women like the one in this picture, with a look of hopelessness on her face. Probably wondering if things will ever change for her, or if she will spend all the days of her life living in a camp. She walks miles daily to fetch a jerry can full of water, or a heavy bundle wood, to work in the fields near where her home would be if it was safe to live there. Her belly is probably rumbling with hunger and parasites, she maybe suffering the ill effects of malaria. This is why I am traveling for the next three days to a remote part of Africa, a country once hailed by Winston Churchill as the "pearl of Africa". I am drawn back by the people, the beautiful, stoic, hard working, enduring people. These people have all but been forgotten by the rest of the world, even when the U.N. lists their condition as one of the greatest humanitarian crisis of all times.

I need to keep perspective on the important things before I fly out tomorrow evening. I am so thankful for my husband, Mike. Not only is he supportive in my little ventures, but he sure does tolerate the frenzy in the hours preceding my departure. I'm sure he sighs with relief after he drops me off at the airport. Thank you, Mike for your love and support! I couldn't do it without you! I only pray that I will be able to sleep on the plane so that I will arrive somewhat rested.

"He is no fool, who gives up what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home